[c-nsp] Which one? 6500 or 7600

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 19 22:23:24 EST 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> as others have said:  the rom on the backplane.

Is there a 6500 equivalent to the 7609-S chassis? What about RSP720?

Historically there hasn't been much difference, but I think we're seeing
the fork right here. What everybody should tell their AM is that we want
to be able to run all the regular 6500 LC in the 7600, for instance the
6708 etc. I think we can just take for granted that all the enterprise
feature modules for the 6500 is going to be out of reach for 7600 software
in the future. We also want to be able to run 7600 software on the older
6500 chassis that have equivalent performance and features as the 7600
chassis.

No removal of possible hw use due to non-technical reasons. If the rom is
the only difference, let us use it or at least offer a backplane rom
upgrade.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se