[c-nsp] ICMP filtering for the ISP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 22 16:25:17 EST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:10:26PM -0000, James Worley wrote:
> Hi there, hoping for some advise.  Anybody got any experience in
> filtering ICMP within an ISP network?
>
> We have a handfull of border routers that connect our AS to our transit
> providers. I am thinking that it might be a good idea to apply some sort
> of ICMP filtering on these boxes.

"Don't".

Ask yourself: what do you want to achieve - and what will it damage.

"Generic ICMP filtering" usually achieves nothing but hard-to-diagnose
problems later on - and ICMP is not a danger per se.

What you *do* want to do is "rate limit ICMP to your routers" (because
nobody has the right to ping-to-death your router CPUs).  But be prepared
to answer "your network is broken, I see packet loss!!!" e-mails.

*Much* more important than filtering ICMP is to apply anti-spoofing filters
on your network:

  - customers MUST NOT send packets from a source address that doesn't
    belong to them ("ip verify unicast reverse" in cisco speach)

  - peers and upstreams MUST NOT send you packets with a source address
    that comes from *your* network blocks (I don't think uRPF will achieve
    this, but this can be done fairly easily with ACLs).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de