[c-nsp] high failure rate on WS-X6748-x blades?

nishal goburdhan nishal at is.co.za
Wed Jan 24 07:25:09 EST 2007

hi.

i'm curious to know, if anyone else has experienced (!) a high failure rate of either WS-X6748-SFP or WS-X6748-GE-TX blades?
we've seen failure of 6/8 of these, purchased in the past 17 months.

i've not been able to find a product recall for known bad batches, and from initial contact with the vendor, the recommendation thusfar is that we check the power feeds to the devices;  in each case, there are dual WS-CAC-3000W, fitted into WS-C6509-E, and the available power > consumed.  seeing as how these are spread across three different continents, at independently managed co-los, and typically only one blade fails per chassis at a time, i'm reluctant to believe that there's a problem with the supplied power.

older WS-X63xx series gear has been happily chugging along in the same chassis...

--
nishal goburdhan, internet solutions, south africa
tel: +27-11-575-0283, inoc-dba: 3741*ndg, utc +2