[c-nsp] IOS and CALEA intercepts?

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Jan 25 01:31:28 EST 2007

Based on the various CALEA presentations I have seen from our consultant,
upstream internet provider, NECA, and others, it seems that at the end of
the day LEA is looking for best-effort and smart capturing.  So if you can
do it via SII, great, but if the network device can only do port spanning
and that feeds into a "mediation device", that's OK, too.  If you use DHCP
to provide IP addresses to your users and can extend the lease so that it
doesn't change for a long time, perfect.  If you need to do it via some
other kind of mechanism, that's fine, too.  If the LEA needs to capture some
traffic and you have OC-3 terminated connections on your 7200 and there's
the possibility that the target might be communicating with a co-conspirator
who is also terminated on that 7200 such that you can't easily mirror the
traffic, you might need to break out an OC-3 probe to capture the necessary
traffic.  But if it's all upstream from the 7200 then an Ethernet probe
might device.

So at the end of the day it seems very pragmatic -- following the order, of
course, but doing what it needs to take, within reason, to get the job done.

Does anyone have impressions that indicate otherwise?

Frank