[c-nsp] experiences or success stories related to XENPAK-10GB-ZR

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Jul 9 04:42:11 EDT 2007

Hi,

> but, cisco says that "This interface is not part of the 10 GbE
> standard but is built according to Cisco optical specifications
> reported in Table 3", which makes me wonder.

Nothing to worry about. It just means that folks who prepared 10GE standard
have not defined anything beyond 40 km reach, so those XENPAKs can't be
matched to any standard parameters.

> we've already asked cisco for two xenpaks for testing purposes, but we
> haven't received them yet. is there anybody who already has this kind
> of xenpaks in the network? can you give me some details regarding
> their functioning?

They're working without any problem for us for 18 months already.

Please also note, that the 80 km limitation is based on typical
dispersion values for normal singlemode fibre (G.652).
With good G.655 fibre you can easily span 100 km.

	With kind regards,

----   Marian Ďurkovič                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----
----   Computer Centre, Nám. Slobody 17      Fax: +421 2 524 94 351   ----