[c-nsp] SLB Question

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Wed Jul 11 12:44:36 EDT 2007

Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:
> If you really need to be able to provide access to the VIP from the same
> L2 domain where the real servers are located, I would recommend moving
> to dispatched mode.
> Just disable "nat server", and configure the VIP as a loopback interface
> on the real servers (easily done on any OS). This would allow the
> servers to use the VIP as a source, so both remote and local clients
> would be able to access the VIP on the SLB instance, but the return
> traffic would not require a translation back...

That's news to me.  I remember according to the docs even when using
dispatch mode, a layer3 hop is still required.

I've tried endless times to get L2 adjacent hosts to use virtual server
addresses on the same subnet/l2 with no luck.  Even in dispatch mode I
don't think the router will re-write the mac in the packets unless it
traverses a L3 hop.

Correct me if I'm wrong and point me to the documentation that proves
this please.

-Robert