[c-nsp] OPSF / BFD timer advise

James Worley james at tridentnet.net
Thu Jul 12 08:38:30 EDT 2007

Ola Gents

We are having a problem with OSPF neigbour relationships being taken down
between core and distribution. This is causing our MPLS-VPNs to fall over.

 ip ospf dead-interval minimal hello-multiplier 4

 bfd interval 250 min_rx 250 multiplier 4

looking at the config above it looks like my company is running sub second
timers on both BFD and OSPF and a possible reason for an overly sensitive
network.

My feeling is we need to let off on the OSPF timers and allow BFD to do
its job. Possible configure a 1sec hello and 3 dead timer for OSPF?

Anyone fancy commenting?

Kindest Regards
James