[c-nsp] NTP Config

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Jul 12 17:08:26 EDT 2007

Hitesh Vinzoda wrote:
>  hey Guyz,
> Thanks for your suggestions... but we are going pretty deep inside.
>
> i dont want to sync my 6509 to sync with any public time sources.

If not, why bother running NTP at all?  The clock in your "master" 6509
will drift, making your timestamps meaningless.

> i want 1 out of 4 6509 to act as NTP master and want redundancy in the core
> for NTP and want my 350 LAN devices to be able to update the time from NTP
> server (6509).

Then your configuration will accomplish that.  All of your 6509s in the
group will be synchronized to the (almost certainly inaccurate) time of
the master, and will happily feed that to the 350 LAN devices.  Garbage
in, garbage out.  Your configuration will only guarantee IDENTICAL
garbage throughout your network.

If you're hesitant to connect to a public time server over the Internet,
then consider using a GPS or WWVB clock locally.  This doesn't expose
your network to the public Internet.

> Please advice

If your sole purpose is to ensure that all 6509s and your LAN devices
display the *SAME* time, then your initial proposal will work.  If you
want to also ensure that they display the *CORRECT* time, you will need
to incorporate an authoritative time source into the network.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net