[c-nsp] PERL: net::telnet::cisco still the way to go?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jul 22 12:32:34 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 02:12 -0500, Tim Jackson wrote:
> Use SNMP... Net::Telnet::Cisco has buffering issues when you send it tons of
> commands... As well as you have to deal with all of the BS if you
> mis-configure something wrong...
>
> Use SNMP to do a 'copy tftp://1.2.3.4/router-add-to-confg running-config' or
> something simlar instead of using Net::Telnet::Cisco.. You'll end up being a
> lot happier.. Cisco luckily has most stuff available via SNMP...

Using SNMP to copy a config up works ok-ish.

You can also use scp:

scp partial-config admin at router:running-config

Be sure to format the partial config appropriately e.g.:

int VlanX
 description blah
end

...the "end" being important to suppress errors in the logs.

Beware that using SNMP to actually *configure* has some caveats; in
particular, on 6500s using SSO, config changes made via SNMP are not
mirrored to the standby supervisor (I presume this is still true on
latest SXF - was on earlier SXF)