[c-nsp] Cat6500/SUP720 with 12.2SX: IPv6 unsupported?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 24 14:58:13 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 04:49:20PM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> > Cool.  What about MPLS?
>
> I was told that there would only be modular SXH - no monolithic (you can
> still run it packed). Therefore, all features will be supported.

Even better.  If this is coming true, this is really really good news :-)

> Obviously Cisco may change (or have changed) their minds. SXH is pretty
> darn overdue, I guess because the sup720-10G is overdue.

Indeed...

> You may not be able to do "modular things" (e.g. restart) the
> MPLS-related processes; ION has a big "main" process that runs a lot of
> the critical code, and some stuff won't be broken out into separate
> processes until later releases.

Well, that's another thing, not having everything modularized - but being
able to do things like "patch and restart the PIM process, and have a
downtime of 10 seconds for multicast" instead of "reboot, have 10 minutes
downtime for everything" when the next security hole in PIM, CDP, BGP, ...
is found is just very very very helpful.

Not having the machine crash when individual processes misbehave would
be even better.  SXF7 crashed on me some days ago when trying to do
CoPP with a "match protocol cdp" rule.  Now that is not a supported thing
- but *crash and reboot* is never the correct response to things a user
types in...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de