[c-nsp] APC Cabinets with SIde Air Distribution

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jun 1 17:49:48 EDT 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Rick Martin wrote:

> I am interested in what others are doing to accommodate hot isle/cold
> isle configurations with the cold isle in the front of the cabinet? As
> most of you are aware the fan tray on the 6500 is on the left side
> drawing cool air in the left and expelling hot air out the right.

I believe the airflow in the non-NEBS 6509s is right to left.  The fan
tray pulls the air through the chassis rather than pushing it - makes for
better airflow.

I haven't used these specific cabinets, but in the past when I had gear
that threw off a lot of heat, we rigged up some angled baffles between the
cabinets to get the hot aisle/cold aisle arrangement and to keep the
exhaust from one device from being drawing into devices in the adjacent
cabinet.

jms