[c-nsp] Cisco equivalent of juniper hardware

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Thu Jun 7 21:43:00 EDT 2007

Phil Bedard wrote:

> Your answers mean that the LAN-type GigE on the 7600 series
> is probably not what you want.
> Some of those cards are oversubscribed (IE, there are 24 GigE
> ports handled by 2 10-gig ASICs.) and they don't do shaping.
>
> While it's very new, the ES20 20-port GigE blade for the 7600
> I think is the cheapest option to get what you want, unless
> you need IPV6/mVPN/ 4364VPN support, which adds to the cost
> via a license.

Possibly a cheaper option is the 7600 with SIP-200 and FE SPAs or
SIP-400/SIP-600 with FE or GE SPAs where shaping is needed.

>From memory there is some level of oversubscription with the SIP's
also but I don't recall finding any clear documentation on this.

Use standard FE/GE blades where you don't need advanced QoS - the
SIPs & SPAs are just too damn expensive!

Also bear in mind that if you go up to the SIP-600, Sup/RSP720 is
Required.

Regards,
Brad