[c-nsp] WAN optimization in IP carrier

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Tue Jun 12 07:45:56 EDT 2007

One thing you might also want to look at is the problem of going GE ---->
2x155 ----> GE. Hosts on the GE links will be able to burst above the
~300M of your intermediate link. This will cause buffers to fill and
overflow causing packet drops and TCP slow start. Ironically, changing the
GE links to 100M might improve performance. Or, you could traffic-shape,
which seems to be the way you're looking to go.

Joe

"Pak Tong Poy" <paktongpoy at gmail.com>
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
06/11/2007 09:59 PM

"Indra Simalango" <indra.simalango at gmail.com>
cc
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] WAN optimization in IP carrier

Hi my network topo is something like this
 ----GE------ [Router]----------2 X
STM1----------[Router]----GE------Upstream transit

I wish to reduce the Upstream transit traffic, so I can only put the
Optimization box in between the link like this:

 ----GE------[WAN Optimization box] ----- GE ------- [Router]----------2 X
STM1----------[Router]----GE------[WAN Optimization
box]-----GE-------Upstream transit

My target applications to be optimized are Static applications such as
file
transfer, pdf, static video...etc.

Any suggestion?
best regards