[c-nsp] Bridging dot1q on a 7200

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Thu Jun 14 09:38:18 EDT 2007

Hello Skeeve,

Let me try to pull some teeth here.

 From the information you have given, it sounds like you have a 7200
router in the middle of two switches that are each 400 meters apart  and
therefor must have fiber connections.   You say the 2 switch ports that
connect to the 7200 are dot1q ports, so I would guess that the 7200
ports they connect to, are trunks.

Q1.  What are the vlans on the ports from the switches, and do they
carry a native vlan?
Q2.   Do you want to bridge the same vlan or different vlans from these
two switches?
Q3.   Are you trying to route and bridge IP traffic from two different
vlans? No can do. One or the other.
Q4.   Are the two vlans you are trying to bridge, native or tagged?
Q5. Are you running CDP or Spanning-tree on these vlans?

Let's go from here, maybe the additional info will help the list give
you a better answer.

Sincerely;

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems