[c-nsp] Graceful way to terminate BGP Session

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jun 22 16:29:12 EDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Voll, Scott wrote:

> We are going to terminate one of the former ISP BGP sessions.  Is there
> a way to do this gracefully without causing all sorts of routing issues?
> I'm thinking shutting down the Gig port is not my best option.  Do I
> just remove the BGP Neighbor?  Will that cause me issues also?

You can shut the BGP neighbor down.  It's possible that things may take a
sub-optimal path when you shut the neighbor down because the BGP router
process will have to re-compute the best paths for each prefix you're
receiving from your other two neighbors.  My experience has always been
that the service impact from doing this is quite low, to the point where
most people wouldn't even notice.  As always, YMMV :)

Also, if you shut the session down, rather than the interface connected to
the neighbor you're removing, your logs will show something similar to
"BGP neighbor x.x.x.x administratively shut down" rather than "BGP
neighbor x.x.x.x down" - it's just cleaner.  Once you're satisfied that
everything's fine, you can delete the neighbor and tear down the interface
at your leisure.

jms