[c-nsp] advice for L2 switches

Jason LeBlanc jml at packetpimp.org
Sat Jun 23 10:17:33 EDT 2007

I second a pair of used 6500 chassis with used sup1a/msfc(1) and cheap
used 6348 blades.  Were you near someone who keeps spares you could
probably borrow or rent a lot of it, much easier to setup with just 2
chassis than 40 or so smaller switches.  I'm betting you could get it
all on the gray market for $10k or less.  We still use these in
production with no ill effects where 720 horsepower is not needed, so it
might not be wasted money in the end.

This may be a dumb question, but why not wifi?  If its laptops, most
will have the adapter built in, and a few usb adapters on the cheap for
the rest, and a few ethernet ports for those that really need copper.