[c-nsp] SUP720-3B and NAT performance

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Thu Mar 1 15:45:52 EST 2007

> I run a couple of SUP720-3B here that - for providing
> redundancy over PA space to our VPN site-to-site tunnels - need
> to NAT one address each to the outside.

I, unfortunately, also have real-world experience with using NAT
on the C6K and have to comment that one should *never* plan on
using NAT on the C6K for *any* purpose where the C6K makes any
real sense, i.e. with any significant amount of traffic.

One or two hundred Ethernet-connected Internet users on a single
34 Mbps connection, and a Sup720 is basically toast. Been there,
done that.

In short: Don't go there.

-A
PS: TAC said the box was performing as expected.