[c-nsp] Output buffer errors

Holemans Wim wim.holemans at ua.ac.be
Mon Mar 5 05:27:48 EST 2007

Last week we replaced one of our 6500's (including FWSM) and since then
we are seeing
output errors on a 3550 router that is a few switches away from the
router.

Schema:
 provider--- 3550  --- 2970 --- IPS --- 2970 --- FWSM/6506-E -- internal
network
         ^   access
         |    router
       output errors on this link.

This is the error message on the 3550 external port.

     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

What we did : we replaced a 6509/sup2, FWSM 2.1 with a 6506-E/sup32,
FWSM 3.1
The vlan that connects the 3550 and 6506 internally, ends on the FWSM.
On the 2970 switches we don't see any errors. After the swap the output
errors appeared on the external link. Connections between 6506, 2970,
IPS, 2970
are 2Gig channels but load on each of the Gig links never goes above 150
Mbit.
External connection is a 1 Gig link.

We don't have a clue where these errors come from. Load on the links is
still
the same as before. Anyone who has a clue on where these errors come
from ?
Any suggestion on how to 'debug' this ?
(please no discussion on position of IPS. It is there for some reasons I
won't
explain here).

Thanks,

Wim Holemans