[c-nsp] Ubr Docsis 2.0 Question

ongbh at ispworkshop.com ongbh at ispworkshop.com
Tue Mar 6 03:51:31 EST 2007

I think Paul is right. 3.2Mhz to 6.4Mhz is a Docsis 2.0 specific mod profile.

You can run a mix mode with UBR, but your 1.1 modems will not log onto a
3.2mhz channel width profile. Regardless, if it is 3.2Mhz QPSK.

The best I can think is to allocate 1 upstream port for DOCSIS 1.x and 1
upstream port for DOCSIS 2.0. Slowly move modems over, until you can ever
get rid of your DOCSIS 1.x modems.

In my personal experience, you can never get rid of DOCSIS 1.x modems,
depending on the size of your deployment.

I suspect in Arris, you are using the logical channel concept of DOCSIS
2.0 specification. I personally don't think it is good idea, given that it
might not be efficient, and from network planning perspective, how do you
plan your capacity in each logical channel.