[c-nsp] OSPF, load balancing

Paolo Losi p.losi at interactive.eu
Wed Mar 7 09:06:38 EST 2007

Rodney Dunn wrote:
> Short answer: No. You can't get symmetrical
> flows like this. The CEF hashing algorithm will hash uniquely
> at Router A and Router B and while deterministic at the local
> router it's nondeterministic at both points in regards to a flow
> path.
>
> Why do you care which way it goes unless there is some stateful firewall
> or feature enabled on them?

That is exactly the reason. We do stateful traffic shaping on those boxes.
It would be acceptable to "manually" divide the traffic (e.g.
by /24). We could use static route and route-maps with source routing
but, at least, we would like to invalidate those routes/ route maps
according to OSPF next hop availability...

Is this feasible?

Thanks again!
Paolo