[c-nsp] Recommendations for a small/cheap 2*Gig-E to OC48 mux?

Eric Kagan ekagan at axsne.com
Wed Mar 7 12:11:57 EST 2007

> > Does it have to be OC-48 (each GigE mapped into a STS-20)
> or can you
> > live with a 2.5 Ghz lambda?
> >
> > If you can live with the lambda take a look at MRV  http://
> > www.mrv.com/products/line/fd.php
>
> We use the GE mux cards from this product line lots and bar one small
> software bug which has been fixed they work perfectly.
> The actually protocol on the fibre is infiband.
>
> Another option might be a traverseedge100 from turin
> http://www.turinnetworks.com/html/products_traverseedge100.htm
> 2xge,6xfe and a bunch of ds1/e1 and ds3 with oc48 uplink
>
> Colin
>

> > On Mar 6, 2007, at 5:07 PM, Chris Griffin wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > We are looking for a small box which will mux 2 Gig-E
> circuits into a
> > > single OC48 for a point to point application.  SFP/GBIC
> on the Gig-E
> > > side and SR or LR on the OC48 side.  DC and AC power options.  The
> > > smaller/cheaper the better :-)  Looks like Cisco has an SDH box
> > > (15305),
> > > but I wouldn't call it cheap.  Any other Cisco/Non-Cisco
> options that
> > > people are happy with?

Anyone using Adtran for this ?  We have a few Opti MX (Opti 6100) for a PTP
OC3 and it works great.  I was told it can handle OC48 as well.  It's a
great little device (small 2U passive chassis, 12 Slots, Dual DC input,
Protect mode, Ethernet for Mgt, SNMP, etc).  Not sure on pricing for
OC48/Gig E cards but the chassis and controllers are only a few K.

Eric