[c-nsp] %FIB-3-NOMEM: Malloc Failure, disabling CEF

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Mar 14 12:55:41 EST 2007

I got paged this morning because one of our routers did this (apparently
due to either a memory leak, fragmentation, or both).  Since the router
in question does tag-switching to support MPLS VPNs, the result of
automatically disabling CEF was pretty undesirable.  I don't suppose
there's a config command that would tell the router to do something else
(like reboot) when usable memory has been exhausted?

I suspect this is something many with NPE300's and lower can look forward
to in the coming months / year or two.