[c-nsp] BGP annoucements/iBGP

Nick Kraal nick at arc.net.my
Thu Mar 15 08:41:02 EST 2007

Hello all,

We have a set up simplified as this:

Internet---[eBGP]---BR---[iBGP]---AR---[eBGP]---Cust_A

On the AR, we are receiving 2 routing paths to the customer's prefix:
[1] via Internet; 3 AS hops away
[2] announced from directly connected customer to AR; prefix is
     prepended 7ASNs

Now as I understand it AR will not announce the unattractive prepended
prefix to the other local iBGP speakers in the network. And ultimately
not announce this block to the Internet.

Is there a way to circumvent this? The customer wants to 'see' us
announce the prepended announcement (although we have told them it will
be announced if the more attractive one is removed).

Thanks in advance.

-nick/