[c-nsp] Connecting aux to console

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue May 1 14:34:43 EDT 2007

Josh wrote:

> I have reverse telnet working and verified(I also have
> an etherswitch module which uses that for internal
> connectivity).  The console on both devices works just
> fine to my PC, but aux to console doesn't do anything.

Aux-to-console *IS* reverse telnet.

> The questions in my mind:
> * Rollover or Straightthrough (or crossover?)

Rollover.  Flat.  Genuine Cisco cables are light blue, black, or bright
green depending on with what they were supplied.

> * What aux port configuration is needed (parity, etc)

The defaults should be fine if you haven't changed the console settings.

> * What debug commands are available?

Several, but "show line" should be sufficient.

> I have two Cisco 2821 routers, and one has an
> unconfigured aux 0, the other is:
> line aux 0
>  login authentication service-module
>  transport input all
>
> (auth is none since the other device has console auth)

OK, on the unit to which you will be telnetting in order to access its
aux port, start with just this, nothing else:

line aux 0
  no exec
  transport input telnet
  flowcontrol none

Then telnet to port 2001 (or 2000 + line number of aux shown in "show
line") and you should be connected to the console of the other device.
Then you can add authentication, access-class, etc. if needed.

> I think I have to be doing something dumb, since all
> docs talk about reverse telnet, which (IMHO) isn't my problem...

* What are you trying to accomplish?

* What commands are you typing to establish remote console?

* What do you expect to see?

* What are you actually seeing?

* What is the output of "show line aux 0"?

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net