[c-nsp] Typical broadband aggregation rates

Arie Vayner ariev at vayner.net
Sat May 12 07:57:43 EDT 2007

Justin,

>From my experience there is a limit to how much bandwidth (on average) a
reasonable subscriber would use, even if you increase their bandwidth.
For the reasonable user it does not really matter if you have 512K, 1.5M or
5M as the application would be the same - some browsing, some P2P, some
email etc.
This of course changes when you deal with heavy P2P users or business
services.

Actually what may create a big impact on the bandwidth usage are new
applications like IPTV/You Tube or some new thing we haven't heard of yet.
Unless you are going to offer these services on your own, you can only guess
what would be the effect of some future app on your network (and add some
slack to be able to absorb it...)

An exception to what I am writing could be the case when you upgrade a 384K
user to 1.5M - there may be some increase in bandwidth usage, as 384K is a
bit low, and they may start enjoying their new bandwidth by using new
applications (or just use them more as it becomes more comfortable).

Arie