[c-nsp] 3750G Metro - post upgrade, bug or feature?

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Sun May 13 01:20:54 EDT 2007

Brad Henshaw wrote:

> You've referred to the 3750 switches as Metro 3750's a number of times.
> This may be due to your application of the switches, but do not confuse
> the Cat3750 and 3750-E switches with the 3750 Metro's which are a
> different beast.

Ah, you're right. My mistake, I was confused as to which flavor of 3750
fell under which brand designation. However, now that I've looked into
it, I'm even more confused... see below.

> As far as I'm aware, the 3750-E needs a different image to the vanilla
> 3750. For a start you should ensure you have the correct image.

This is true, but apparently the Cisco 3750G-16TD-E is considered to be
part of the 3750 line, and not the 3750-E line? See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/index.html - the
16 port model listed there is what we have in the lab. I would think
that the -E at the end of the model number listed in 'show ver' would
classify this as part of the 3750-E line, but the only references I see
on cisco.com for a 16 port 3750G are as part of the 3750 line, not the
3750-E line.

The other thing that stumps me is the odd failure mode. I'd expect the
switch to simply not boot, as opposed to functioning perfectly except
for when access to flash: is required.

Thanks,

--afsheenb