[c-nsp] VoIP without QoS

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue May 22 14:43:46 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:35:25PM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Interesting approach..;)
>
> So, in theory you could rate-limit *everything* in access-list 106 except
> for the VOIP traffic itself therefore "almost guaranteeing" X amount of
> bandwidth specific to your needs?
>
> in other words:
>
> access-list 106 deny ip any host x.x.x.x
> access-list 106 permit ip any any
>
> Just curious...

	Sure, I don't know what your network looks like so don't want
to give you terrible advice,  but there are things to do.. but at the
same time, I have to already "get" the packet in order to rate-limit
it.  If someone sends me a 500M TCP/SYN flood down my t1, and i'm
rate-limiting it on a 2600, i'm not going to get all of those
packets.

	If you're in a closed network where you have less of this
malicious traffic and are properly segmenting those hosts that are
still doing tcp/445 and other scans, you will be in a much better
situation.

	(this all assumes that you have good acl performance, or enough cpu
to handle the acl processing).

	- Jared