[c-nsp] NPE-G1 vs NSE-1

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue May 22 15:34:20 EDT 2007

>    Whats the difference btw both this cards and which would suit an ISP
> environment running BGP, IPv6 etc?

NSE-1 is the PXF, which runs *some* functions in hardware - and also
has lots of bugs (I used to work with these at a previous employer).

I believe 7200 with NSE-1 is EOS, and the best recommendation if you
*must* use this type of hardware is to turn off the PXF. Then you have
approximately the same forwarding performance as an NPE-225, as far as
I recall.

The NPE-G1 is far more capable, and definitely recommended if you have
a choice.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no