[c-nsp] VoIP without QoS

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Sat May 26 15:31:57 EDT 2007

It's certainly not as rigorous as one might hope, but it does explain
why common VOIP applications running over 802.11b start to fail when
around the time the 7th conversation is added to the mix.  Which is
quite consistant with empirical evidence I've collected, and anecdotal I've
had from others.

My main point is that if the transport is prone to congestion with a
(relatively) small number of pps, it isn't good candidate for VOIP
communications.  The commonly found wireless schemes in use today fall
into this category of transport.  We'll see things get better as time
goes on, but the current crop of wi-fi gear simply isn't suited for VOIP
except in very spcific situations.

I almost feel sorry for the WISPs that have built out neworks with
802.11b backahul links.  I've *seen* some of them staring at MRTG
graphs saying "but there's less than 1 Mbps on that link!  We can't
be the cause of your VOIP problems..."  As we all know -- the pps
numbers are more imporportant than the bandwidth nubmers in most
situations.

This has drifted too far from the 'c' in 'cnsp' -- I'm going to go back
to lurking...