[c-nsp] firewall ios

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Sun May 27 01:38:54 EDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any difference between a pix firewall and
> the firewall ios.  I have a 2801 router that I would like to buy the
> firewall ios for instead of putting in a pix firewall.  Does the
> firewall ios have all of the features of the pix box?  I'm currently
> using the router for nbar inspection, route-mapping and natting a few
> internet connections.  Will this all still work on the firewall ios?

The Firewall IOS is just a regular IOS with additional FW functionality
... there is practically no comparison between PIX and Router w/IOS ...
as for the features, there is quite some overlap, though some features
or functionalities are only available in one, not in the other ... e.g.
if you ever want to do some VRF stuff, this will only work on a Router,
not the PIX (at least for now). OTOH, there are some nice features like
the Packet Tracer on PIX 7.2 that are not (yet?) available on IOS
(please, Cisco, add this soon!!!!)

-gg