[c-nsp] out-of-band management - modems?

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Mon Nov 5 15:46:04 EST 2007

Paul Stewart wrote:
> We're in the process of adopting Lantronix boxes with modems currently
> (multiple console ports at each site so makes sense)... early stages but so
> far so good.  The one challenge left to try is to reach sites that have no
> telco facilities nearby (wireless POPs) so we're looking at cellular data
> cards in the Lantronix for those...

I am a big fan of Lantronix SLC series, lots of good features. For major
pops we deploy the larger ones of these, and use the logging - which has
proved very useful. Big advantage over Cyclades is Cisco-style pinout -
just need rollover cables to connect.

I also use Opengear CM-series for small sites (the 8 port is very cost
effective) however they again don't have the Cisco pinout. That doesn't
matter so much for the smaller sites.