[c-nsp] Counterfeit gear (was "service unsupported-linecard")

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Mon Nov 12 09:04:30 EST 2007

>I'm no huge Cisco defender here, but I'm positive that if you were
>selling a product, you'd want to not have to spend the money to support
>that product, should it be counterfeit.

That depends if you are supporting it for free or getting paid to support
it.

You make a profit when you charge $50 to change the oil on car what
difference is it who made the car?
Support is its own business.
Its not a support issue, its a Piracy issue that is made more complex by
the Cisco Control freak approach to the sales channel.

e.g.
Why should I have to pay 3x for a CISCO  SFP when a clearly branded
alternative by a legitmate vendor will work just as well or better!
At least for now I can choose!
I do sometimes by Cisco SFP but the choice is mine, whats next, 'sorry we
only do dot1q with genuine Cisco'?

Also,

In what other area would you find a hardware/software package that cannot
legally be sold onto an AN Other without the vendor getting involved in
some way?

'Sorry sir, you can't sell that car to your brother, the software in the
engine management system has a  non-transferable license"

I don't thinks so!

kevin

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities