[c-nsp] OSPF, summarization, areas etc.

Primoz Jeroncic jp at softnet.si
Mon Nov 19 08:44:52 EST 2007

Hi guys

Before I go back to books and try to find out this hard way, I'm hoping
someone can jump for help, and support my laziness :)
Due to some legacy reasons we had pretty bad OSPF setup here. Now I finally
started to move things further, but I have few problems. Or maybe they are
not problems, but just misunderstanding.

Until recently we had all our network in one single area (not area 0). Now I
moved our backbone to area 0, while keeping most of spokes in old area
(area 100).

I will be moving these spokes to different areas later on, but I would like to
clarify few things first.
So currently our config looks like this:

router A -- area 100 - Router B - area 0 - Router C - area 200 - Router D
router E -- area 100 - |

Now my question. I understood all this so, that on Router D (in area 200) I
wouldn't see all subnets in area 100, but summarized networks or even no area
100 networks. Obviously I'm wrong, or I'm doing something wrong, since I still
see same amount of routes on router D as I did before, when whole network was
in same area (area 100), even if I do summarization on Router B for networks
behind Router A and/or E.

If I'm just doing something wrong, then I would appreciate any suggestion how
to limit routes to same area only, and preferably keep only routes of area 200
and default route on Router D.
Just for info, because I think it does matter. All routes are inserted into
OSPF from static or connected routes on end routers.

PS: Config for OSPF is really simple standar thing...

router ospf 1
 log-adjacency-changes
 redistribute connected subnets
 redistribute static subnets
 network x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0 area 0
 network y.y.y.y 0.0.0.0 area 100
 network z.z.z.z 0.0.0.0 area 100
!
! and for summarization on router B
 area 100 range 10.10.0. 255.255.0.0

Thanks for help in advance
Have fun,
Primoz Jeroncic
Support - IP Connectivity & Routing
Softnet d.o.o.  tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |
Borovec 2       fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |       1 + 1 = 3
1236 Trzin      primoz(at)softnet.si     | for larger values of 1
Slovenija       http://flea.softnet.si/