[c-nsp] mpls on one interface carried over an l2tpv3 on another interface

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Nov 28 05:24:27 EST 2007

Suppose I have a 7500 router with two fastethernets plugged into the
same switch. 12.4 Mainline.

On fa0/0/0.2 I run mpls.

on Fa0/1/0.2 I run l2tpv3 xconnect to another identicaly setup router in
another location.

(Yes, this is a workaround to an outage)

The l2tpv3 is up, BGP vpnv4 routes are up/advertised/received/imported.

Should I expect mpls to transport the vrf packets?

It doesnt, ping vrf XXX a.b.c.d, where a.b.c.d is on the other router,
fails.

 From CCO

"For L2TPv3, an Ethernet subinterface configured to support VLAN
switching may be bound to an Xconnect service so that all Ethernet
traffic, tagged with a VID specified on the subinterface, is tunneled to
another PE. The VLAN Ethernet frames are forwarded in their entirety.
The receiving PE may rewrite the VID of the tunneled traffic to another
value before forwarding the traffic onto an attachment circuit."

Thanks,

Joe