[c-nsp] PPPoA DSL up/up, no traffic

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Tue Oct 2 19:06:58 EDT 2007

Siva Valliappan wrote:
> iirc DSL line scrambling should be negotiated between the DSL interfaces.
> so if it is on or off it shouldn't matter.

Scrambling is not "negotiated" it's either on or off.  It's also not
done at the PVC level, but rather the interface level.  It may be true
that some devices may auto-sense scrambling, but I've found that not to
be the case on Cisco devices.  They have to be implicitly told to use
ATM payload-scrambling.

I recently just ran into a case where I found out a IAD2431 with dual
T1's, support ATM, but not payload scrambling.  So if your ISP/LEC uses
ATM scrambling, and your device doesn't allow you to enable it... good luck.

If there is a scrambling mis-match on either of the PVC... it won't
work... period.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC