[c-nsp] Verify static route next hop

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Oct 5 02:12:57 EDT 2007

What you want is "Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

* setup an SLA to ICMP ECHO ping an IP
* setup a "tracking object" to track an SLA entry
* setup a default route to only trigger when that "tracking object" is active

Works a treat. Remember that ICMP ECHO to a connected interface might
succeed if the connected interface goes down and you can reach the other
end via another path. Use source interfaces in your SLA IpIcmpEcho entries
and you should be fine.

Adrian