[c-nsp] activating MLP on ATM ADSL

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Fri Oct 5 17:42:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been tasked with bonding some ATM ADSL links together into a multilink
bundle. The objective is to enable customers to double their throughput by
obtaining (2) DSL lines from us.

The head end is a 7206 (NPE200) running C7200-IS-M 12.3(15b). The CPE end is
a Cisco 1841 running (C1841-IPBASE-M) 12.4(1c).

Is it as simple as putting "ppp multilink" under Virtual-Template1 of the
head-end and "ppp multilink" under the (2) Dialer interfaces of the CPE end?
Will there be any problem allowing multiple customers to bond links with
these configs? Maybe I need to specify a Multilink interface on the 7206 and
create unique multilink groups for each customer?

In the archives, someone also suggested putting "lcp renegotiation always"
under vpdn-group 1 on the 7206 to allow the cpe and lns to re-negotiate for
ppp multilink, if the cpe asks for it. I'm not sure if that's really needed
in this case.

I'm short on lab equipment so any experimentation I do has to be on the
production equipment. Obviously I'm reticent to try anything out which will
disrupt the many active links on the 7206.

Thanks for any advice (or better yet, working configs!!) you can share.

Adam

Current configurations:

=============
7206 HEAD END