[c-nsp] Ethernet debugging...MTU?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Oct 27 23:01:56 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 02:31:45PM -0400, Andy Dills wrote:
> Am I likely correct in my theory that something is configured for the
> jumbo frame MTU and thus response packets aren't being properly
> fragmented?

If "something" has an influence on this at all, it's the router on the
other side - and that's quite unlikely, given that the PA-FEISL doesn't
support >9000 byte MTUs (at least as far as I can remember, but don't
forget: FEISLs are evil).

All L2 devices on the paths are a complete case of "don't care" here - if
the routers are set for 1500 byte MTU, the switches will never see a
packet larger than that, so the question "could they transmit a larger
packet or not" is moot.

My guess would be that you're running into ICMP rate limiting or FEISL
issues.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de