[c-nsp] c3560 L3 throughput with BGP

Valentin Stoicescu valentin.stoicescu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:57:41 EDT 2007

Adrian Minta wrote:
> Jon Lewis wrote:

>>> C3560 and c3750 are both switches witch means line rate speeds as long
>>> as your number of routes is smaller than TCAM size. One prefix more and
>>> everything goes kaboom.
>>> I suggest to take a look at Cisco 7201 router.
>>>
>> Why?  300 routes on a 3560 is nothing.  I've done around 1300 routes
>> and 2-3 BGP peers on a 3550.  20 peers seems like maybe a lot, but as
>> long as they're all reasonably stable, I suspect it'd work and be much
>> cheaper than a 7201.
>>
> Are you sure that nobody is accidentally injecting more routes ?
> You will always be on the edge. C3550 was a better switch than C3560 IMHO.

If the max prefixes received doesn't exceed 8000 unicast routes with sdm
prefer routing  3560 it's capable of dealing with all that bgp peers.
I'm currently running 2 bgp sessions with a total of bandwidth of
200Mbps and ~3400 prefixes recived from each peer
##sh ip bgp su
4051 network entries using 473967 bytes of memory
BGP using 1401759 total bytes of memory
Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd
81.x.x.x           4      X   56484   33871    76815    0    0
3w2d         3394
89.x.x.x           4      X   90394   33871    76815    0    0
3w2d         3477

#sh proc cpu | i CPU
CPU utilization for five seconds: 23%/0%; one minute: 22%; five minutes: 22%
And if a peer is stupid enough to flood you with prefixes there is
neighbor maximum-prefix.