[c-nsp] Cisco noob -- design guidance request

C. Jon Larsen jlarsen at richweb.com
Sun Sep 2 09:20:15 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> On Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 10:12:07PM -0600, David L. West wrote:
>> I'm setting up a new LAN in an office building with multiple tenants who
>> will be sharing internet access, DNS/DHCP but have individual VLANS to keep
>> them seperate from the other tenants.  I think that the key here is having
>> each VLAN have a "helper address" that serves as a DHCP Relay Agent , which
>> in turn is how the DHCP server "knows" which range to hand the client.
>
> Yup - this is a standard design for multi-subnet DHCP.

Where is the access list that is going to prevent cross talk between the
subnets ?  Otherwise rogueware on one tenants computer will attack the
other tenants. Simply splitting each tenant onto its own vlan is ncie but
its a far cry from secure if you tie the subnets into a router that is
happy to pass traffic between the vlans !!

What I did for a similar setup not to long ago was an 1841 router with
8021q sub interfaces for each tenant. Run dhcp on the router with a subnet
config for each tenant subinterface. Setup an acl on each input
sub interface to prevent cross talk, configure nat as needed.