[c-nsp] hardware load balancer?

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Sep 13 09:52:35 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I received a couple requests to summarize the responses I received to this
inquiry.

I received many responses, on and off-list (and also from another mailing
list).

F5 was mentioned most frequently in a positive way
IOS SLB on 7200/6500 and Foundry were also mentioned positively and
frequently
Coyote Point received a number of very positive reviews on a mailing list
mainly populated by Windows networking professionals
Cisco CSS was mentioned as a favorite by one person and as a most-hated
solution by another
Local Directors seemed to have worked well in the past for a few people, but
they have since been replaced by newer gear
Citrix Netscalers and Crescendo Networks got one positive review each
PF on some flavor of BSD was also recommended as a very good solution
Barracuda Networks was mentioned, but does not do stateful failover

Someone also suggested that utilizing Akamai or Limelight for redundant
streaming services may be more cost-effective than trying to build out the
infrastructure ourselves.

I also received the suggestion to get used hardware and deploy it in
redundant failover configuration.

I appreciate the help!
Adam