[c-nsp] cap'ing each host/ip to bw limits

Steve Muchai smuchai at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 10:21:55 EDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Giles Coochey <gcoochey at sapphire.gi> wrote:

> > Packeteer packet shaper is best....Go for it...
> >

> Interesting, we've not deployed anything as yet, but others have looked
> at Packeteer here and I hear they were not best impressed.
>
> The next thing we'll probably look at is Allot's Netenforcer product.
>
> Anyone have any experience with that on this list?

I've worked with all three. My ranking:

Packeteer: Ranks lowest, IMHO.

ETINC: Great product, great value for money especially the integrated
web cache. Their support is great - instant response 24x7. They must
be sleep deprived but it doesn't show :-)

Allot: The best product I've worked with (luckily, still working with
it :-) If you can afford it.

For small networks, Mikrotik works pretty well, but I've heard of
preformance problems from a friend. Can't exactly recall the details.

> Another interesting angle on p2p impact mitigation is to have local
> (transparent) p2p caches, anyone have experience with those?

Not me.
Regards,
Steve.