[c-nsp] MTU settings/GRE tunnel

Masood Ahmad Shah masood at nexlinx.net.pk
Thu Sep 20 05:48:33 EDT 2007

use 'ip tcp adjust-mss 1400' on a router seeing traffic in the clear to
force MSS to 1400 so IP datagram size to 1420 (of course 1400 is just a
guess), this will cover all TCP traffic.

Set ip mtu 1500 on GRE tunnel interface (yes 1500 bytes)..

Reasoning:
- - GRE encapsulation clears the DF bit UNLESS 'tunnel path-mtu-discovery'
is set on the tunnel interface (if turned on the tunnel MTU will be
dynamically adjusted upon receipt of ICMP)
- - IPsec encapsulation copies the DF and adjusts the path MTU upon receipt
of ICMP UNLESS 'crypto ipsec df-bit clear/set' is configured in the crypto
map
- - router will fragment when forwarding to any interface whose MTU is
smaller than the received IP packet. This happens often when forwarding to a
GRE tunnel whose MTU is 1476 per default...

The last point forces the router to drop all 1500-bytes packets and to send
an ICMP message when a DF packet is received.

Regards,
Masood Ahmad Shah