[c-nsp] OT : IPv6 - Will it hit like an "avalanch"?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 2 10:13:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 04:29:13PM +0300, Ziv Leyes wrote:
> I want to set an appointment with you in, let's say 10 years from today and we can talk it over again?
> Do you know how many of the IPv4 "allocated" addresses aren't actually in use and are only held at the LIRs and RIRs IP "storage basement" for future use?
> This could happen in the future too, a single person can apply for a million IPv6 addresses and perhaps he will get them, because "there are som many, so what the heck, let him have 'em?"
> We'll see, I hope I'm wrong?

Actually every user of IPv6 *will* get "millions" (2^64...2^80, depending
on ISP assignment size).  That's the point.

Before making public claims like yours, try to read up a bit on what the
current approaches *are*, and how the numbers work out.

"IPv6 won't work!" (and its variants) isn't going to stop IPv4 depletion -
get over it, and start helping to fix the remaining open issues around
IPv6.  "Not enough addresses" isn't one of them.  Non-deployment is.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de