[c-nsp] Transparent ASA 5510 on a dot1q Trunk

Chris Riling criling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:31:40 EDT 2008

Hey Guys,

     Forgive the dumb question, I'm not much of a Cisco security guy... I
have a 5510 I need to put in transparent mode and I want it to sit in the
middle of a dot1q trunk and filter traffic for the 4 VLANs traversing the
trunk between the two switches. What is the best way to do this? As someone
on the list had pointed out to me once, you should be able to create inside
and outside VLAN subinterfaces for each VLAN but I'm still a little
confused... Anyone else have any input? The ASA supposedly does some "tag
switching" and you need to have the same VLANs have one tag on the inside,
and another tag on the outside, but I'm not exactly sure how you associate
each inside VLAN with it's respective outside VLAN and vice versa in the
config...

Thanks,
Chris