[c-nsp] Ethernet Freezeup

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Tue Apr 8 06:38:55 EDT 2008

Re Ed,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:10:23PM -0400, Ed Ravin wrote:
> > 4 weeks ago, I also upgraded the 7204 to IOS 12.3(24a).  No problems
> > since.
> >
> > I don't know whether the bug is quenched with the new IOS - this is
> > definitely an improvement, but we've had similar quiet periods before.
> > If I don't see it for another 2-3 months, then I might declare victory.
>
> And sure enough, it happened again today with the 7204.  Obviously
> the IOS upgrade was not the answer.

Heisenbug. I'd postulate a new interpretation "Murphy causes collapse"
if I were into quantum mechanics^Wmysticism..

> Can anyone suggest some commands to run before the "clear int FastE0/0"
> on the 7204 that might shed some light on what's going on?  It has
> to get spooled out through a 9600 bps serial port so I don't want to
> run anything with a lot of output.

I'd say "show controller FastEthernet0/0" but the problem is to get
somebody to read it who actually knows what the register values should
be and what denotes a problem. Unless it becomes obvious like

 RX state: running - queuing rx frame into rx buffer

changing to something easily identified as beeing wrong, or the MAC filter
table getting hosed or something like that.

Thanks for the info regarding 12.3(24a) - would have been a bit problematic
to get the box in question doing all the required things using 12.3 mainline,
so I'm glad to not have to go this route. I'm going to free a chassis with
NPE400 and IO-2FE as a replacement, hopefully this will fix it...

Thanks,
Andre.
--
   Real men don't make backups of their mail. They just send it out
    on the Internet and let the secret services do the hard work.

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-