[c-nsp] IOS pirating requests

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Apr 8 06:42:03 EDT 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You really need to be careful here.  Keep in mind
> that for the last decade software vendors have been scruplously
> avoiding having shrinkwrap licenses tested in court, there's not been
> a single court case of a software vendor (like Microsoft or Cisco)
> suing anyone for violating a shrinkwrap license that they did not
> explicitly sign and agree to abide by.

Not withstanding the issue of first sale doctrine, I don't think this
is true.  In _ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg_, 86 F. 3d. 1447 (7th Cir.
1996) the Seventh Circuit said that "Shrinkwrap licenses are
enforceable unless their terms are objectionable on grounds applicable
to contracts in general (for example, if they violate a rule of
positive law, or if they are unconscionable)."  They further extended
this to terms included in the box with hardware in _Hill v. Gateway
2000_, 105 F.3d 1147 (7th Cir. 1997).  The Hills received a Gateway
computer with terms and conditions inside including an arbitration
clause.  The Hills sought to get out of the arbitration clause, but
the court held that because they kept the computer more than thirty
days, that they had assented to the terms in the contract contained in
the computer box.  Note that the Uniform Commercial Code 2-204(1) says
that "A contract for the sale of goods may be made in any manner
sufficient to show agreement, including conduct by both parties which
recognizes the existence of such a contract."  The fact that you kept
your Cisco router and operated it could be interpreted as acceptance
of the software agreement that went with it.

--
Jeremy McDermond
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com