[c-nsp] CSM for service providers

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Tue Apr 8 11:02:56 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:06:44AM -0400, Fred Reimer wrote:
> Sounds like no one has used the ACE.  I have for two customers, one in
> production for approx six months and the other not in production yet.  Other
> than some issues with the new load balancing with the GSS, which hopefully
> has been resolved now, we haven't run into any problems.

Has anyone seen ACE installations scale to hundreds of customers?  You
are right, I haven't used the ACE, just the CSM.  It's always easier
to trust in something's performance after you've seen it :)

> I'm not in sales, so I don't have to worry about cost ;-), but I do know
> there was, and still may be, a special on the appliance (not the module)
> where you get some large percentage off (35% or 50% or something) in
> addition to your normal Cisco discount.  So if you are interested in an ACE,
> pick one up now...

The pricing model of $0 plus the appropriate license is an interesting
model - I was thinking it would be license costs on top of the typical
line-card costs.  That might be more workable in our model, though it
sounds like migrating configurations from CSM to ACE is non-trivial.

I'll have to do a bit of research from that angle.  Thanks for the
input everyone.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us