[c-nsp] Wanting to learn Juniper...

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Sat Apr 12 13:08:48 EDT 2008

Not to drag this on any longer than necessary, but anyone who calls
themselves a network engineer should have no problem understanding Boolean
math and bitwise operations.  How can you understand how a device decides to
send traffic to a local device or through a router if you don't understand a
bitwise AND between the destination address and subnet mask, bitwise AND
between your address and subnet mask, and a comparison between the two?  NOT
AND OR XOR SHIFT, this is all computing, and networking, 101 stuff.  How it
can be considered non-natural, non-obvious, or hard to understand by a
network engineer is something I can't grasp.

For a newbie in an introductory class, I'd start off with some basic math
and logical operations, perhaps some introductory programming so that they
can understand the operations that a device goes through in routing traffic,
and even in parsing the configuration.

Thanks,

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697