[c-nsp] as-override

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Apr 15 05:19:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:34 +0100, Dean Smith wrote:
> The constraint in my case is the MPLS product I can buy. Each resilient
>  access is configured as its own private AS for BGP. The core AS uses
>  the SP registered AS. I have no option but to have a route table full

I'm may have misunderstood your setup, but AFAIK "allow-as in" and
"as-override" were designed for exactly the Customer-SP-Customer
scenario. It's a shame that the provider doesn't want to use them then.

> I have no option to impose a single consistent AS on my Supplier- and
> realistically only the one supplier for size of network I need in my
>  market (Full national coverage of the uk).

I noticed this in OPs configuration:

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 13:30 +0100, Gary Roberton wrote:
<snip>
>  router bgp 2856
<snip>

AS2856 is "BT-UK-AS" according to whois. I assume it covers most of the
UK. Coincidence? ;-D

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:34 +0100, Dean Smith further wrote:
> As it happens we do have our own registered AS we use for our internet
>  facing presence and a limited number of external  peerings. But again
>  I have to jump through hoops to present all routes as that single AS
>  after all no-one wants to see which SP I use for my MPLS core or how
>  many private AS I have. Given I can change/amend/delete/add almost
>  every other metric in the BGP decision process it seems strange I dont
>  have full control to manipulate the AS path aswell.

I completely agree. More control would be better. I'll try and mention
it to the next SE/AM I see, even though I think my (medium enterprise)
voice means little to them.

> still life would be dull if it was all easy.

Yes, the "Plug'n'Pray" revolution still seems a few steps away in core
networking. :-)

Regards,
Peter